If you have already read the post about Setup Matomo Analytics to the classic SharePoint site collections, you are maybe interested to go ahead with more capabilities.
What is the difference between a Tag Management System and an Analytics Tracker?
- Analytics: generates reports and statistics based on the visits and visitors. It is possible to add some custom variables or custom dimensions to obtain further information; to add this kind of thing, you will need a minimum of development skills because you will need to add scripts into SharePoint.
- Tag Manager: This allows you to create and trigger some custom tags in accordance with your business needs in addition to track page views and all information about the visits and the visitors. Furthermore, tags and triggers management can be done without additional developments in your environment; the global configuration is pushed from the Tag Management System into the target environment once published. More information ›
Setup Matomo Tag Manager
I wrote a script that will allow you to easily implement the Tag Manager script into your SharePoint sites based on classic Templates.
- A Matomo (Piwik) server (On-Premises) or instance (Online)
- A Matomo Tag Manager URL: https://matomo.org/docs/tag-manager/#how-can-i-set-up-matomo-tag-manager-on-my-website
- You will need to install the PnP PowerShell module (I did not create the bash script yet 👎🏻)
- Download the solution from the repository
- Unzip the archive
- Execute the following cmdlet by changing
container_[ID]with your Matomo URL:
.\SPMTM.ps1 -siteUrl "https://intranet.mydomain.com/sites/targetSite" -trackingUrl https://matomo.my-domain.com/js/container_[ID].js
If you cannot execute the PowerShell script, because of security reasons, before unzipping the package, execute the
Other options are available as illustrated into the README.md, that allow you to manage the deployment
The user account that will perform the following actions has to have sufficient permissions on the target sites collection.
Hoping this post will help you 😉
You may also be interested in
You need to retrieve your Microsoft 365 Tenant ID but you do not know how? Here, some ways to find it!
5 min read
For the first time, at CollabDays 2023, I will talk to you about the implementation of functional tests without advanced knowledge of development
1 min read
A solution to expose you to how to use an Excel file as a resource file for your Power App Apps
6 min read
2 min read